Toronto: A vibrant international financial services centre
Toronto is Canada’s Global Financial Center, home to the most stable banking system in the G7. In North America, Toronto is the 2nd largest financial centre, 3rd largest technology cluster, and the 4th largest city. These factors, and a diverse FinTech ecosystem, position Toronto’s Financial Services sector as a leader in innovation and competitiveness. The sector has strong collaboration domestically between industries and internationally with other global financial centers. Toronto is rated #7 in the Global Financial Centre Index with many of Toronto’s strongest industry players collaborating with incubators, accelerators and research institutions which place Toronto in a strong position for global competition and collaboration.
Why you should attend
- Learn about Canada’s global financial centre, Toronto, and receive an overview of the market, opportunities and advantages that our city has to offer.
- Meet and learn from one of Canada’s leading global scale-up hubs, OneEleven, to learn about the FinTech startup and scale-up community and hear from one of OneEleven’s current in-house scaleups.
- Understand the opportunities, challenges and directions of Toronto’s FinTech areas of excellence - Artificial Intelligence, Blockchain and Cybersecurity.
- This experience is designed for those who are interested in learning more about Toronto’s innovation within our financial services sector, with a strong focus on FinTech, and how our centre is positioned for global collaboration.
Part of this tour includes walking. Please see below for dress code.
Gather in the lobby of the Chelsea Hotel Toronto
Walk to OneEleven via Toronto’s famous PATH – the world’s largest underground collection of stores and businesses connecting the financial district in downtown Toronto. OneElevent is a global scaleup hub focused on helping the most promising, high-growth tech startups build self-sustaining, high-performance businesses.
09:30 – 11:30 AM
At OneEleven. you will:
- Hear from Jennifer Reynolds, President & CEO of the Toronto Financial Services Alliance, to receive an overview of Toronto’s Financial Services sector.
- Take a tour through OneEleven and hear from their team about the scale-up community in Toronto. OneEleven is a global scale-up hub focused on helping the most promising, high-growth tech startups build their businesses and scale their operations.
- Hear from and meet a current startup being housed at OneEleven that is gearing up for success with the support and guidance from this global scaleup hub. They will focus on the experience of and processes around collaborating with established financial institutions.
Travel to next destination (TBD)
After lunch you will:
Hear from a panel of three professionals from the Toronto region FinTech ecosystem with expertise in Toronto’s areas of excellence: Artificial Intelligence, Cybersecurity, and Blockchain. After a brief overview of these areas, our speakers will touch on the following themes followed by a Q&A:
- Opportunities in the Toronto FinTech sector
- Innovation coming out of our ecosystem and how it compares globally
- Developing and attracting the pipeline of diverse talent domestically and abroad
Participate in a mini-charrette and network
Travel back to the Chelsea Hotel Toronto or Rotman School of Management
Meet your Organizers
TFSA is a not-for-profit organization, working in partnership with government, the financial services sector and academia. TFSA’s mission is to lead collective action that drives the competitiveness and growth of Toronto’s financial sector and establishes its prominence as a leading international financial centre.
Image credit: g-stockstudio, istockphoto